Social media remains in a frenzy after a number of media outlets speculated that the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office had dropped charges against Tory Lanez connected to an incident in July involving Megan Thee Stallion. Rumors began to fly when a screenshot was posted by multiple outlets claiming that all court dates involving the case had been canceled and all charges would eventually be dropped. However, new reporting has contradicted those statements. Joe Coscarelli of the New York Times reportedly spoke to a representative from Tory Lanez’s team and confirmed that the reports were not true.
“A [representative] for Tory Lanez says it is not true that charges against him in the Megan Thee Stallion shooting were dropped,” he tweeted.
“[The representative said], ‘The blog that posted this info is wrong. I assume the docket hasn’t been updated … The next hearing date is in mid-February.'”
a rep for Tory Lanez says it is NOT TRUE that charges against him in the Megan Thee Stallion shooting were dropped: “The blog that posted this info is wrong. I assume the docket hasn't been updated … The next hearing date is in mid-February.”
— Joe Coscarelli (@joecoscarelli) January 21, 2021
After Coscarelli’s tweet, further reporting from additional sources also confirmed that the charges against the singer had not been dropped.
“Per a rep from the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, the next court date for the case is now set for Feb. 25, following the originally reported hearing date of Jan. 20,” Tracey William Cohen of Complex added.
Moreover, the charges were filed by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, not Megan Thee Stallion. Therefore, Megan Thee Stallion cannot drop the charges that have been filed.
Tory Lanez will return to court on February 25 as he faces one count of assault with a semiautomatic firearm and one count of carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle. He has entered in a plea of not guilty.