It’s back, baby! The XFL has given the green light to fans at Audi Field in Washington, D.C. during this afternoon’s highly-anticipated Defenders-Battlehawks matchup. Per a report from the Defenders’ Instagram account, fans sitting in sections 136 and 137 will be able to build a beer snake throughout the game. However, there are quite a few stipulations attached to this sign of approval from the league. In order to build a beer snake during the matchup of undefeated teams, fans must adhere to the following regulations:
- No cups must be thrown from within the section or outside the section to join the beer snake.
- All cups must be passed to [the] location of the beer snake to be added or you may provide your cups to a Defenders representative who will bring the cups to the beer snake.
- Only empty cups can be added to the beer snake.
- Any throwing of cups or other projectile objects within the seated area or onto the field of play is grounds for ejection.
- The cups from the beer snake must be properly disposed of in a stadium receptacle at the conclusion of the game.
Fans of the Washington, D.C. Defenders began building beer snakes at Audi Field during the 2020 XFL season prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. After the XFL returned to the nation’s capital, fans of the Defenders began building beer snakes again. However, the snakes were broken up as the Defenders played the Seattle Sea Dragons in week one. In response, fans at Audi Field began throwing lemons onto the field as an act of rebellion. Meeting fans halfway, the league and Audi Field will attempt to facilitate the building of a beer snake in an organized manner. Will it work? Only time will tell.