Starz has officially canceled Counterpart after two seasons on the air. The J.K. Simmons-led series made a splash when it debuted last year, earning rave reviews and a vocal fanbase. It never hit big with mainstream audiences though and it’s disappointing viewership led Starz to pull the plug. However, Media Rights Capital, the show’s production company, is still trying to find the show a new home at another network.
Series creator Justin Marks broke the news via Twitter on Monday morning. “It’s been an absolute dream for this team … we got to make exactly the show we wanted to … perfect cast, perfect crew on two continents … and we’re so grateful to our network for the time we had,” Marks said across multiple tweets. “Thank you to everyone who made this journey so special for us. Your tweets, podcasts, and intricate conspiracy theories have made it all worthwhile. Fingers crossed that our wonderful studio, MRC, can find a way to keep the dream alive!”
Starz made the decision ahead of Sunday’s second season finale, likely so that it could serve as a series finale if the show isn’t picked up by another network. Counterpart obviously had its fans at the network though, such as the Starz President of Programming, Carmi Zlotnik. “Justin, Jordan, J.K. and the entire cast and crew delivered a beautifully executed series. It was a pleasure working with this team on two seasons of expert storytelling brought to life by best-in-class performances across the board,” she said regarding the cancelation.
Counterpart will air what will likely be its last episode, Sunday, February 17th on Starz.