Netflix’s drama-turned-reality series, Squid Game: The Challenge, is not off to the start it had hoped for.
In February, Netflix’s newest reality property underwent an independent safety assessment after three contestants required medical attention. While filming the show’s rendition of the classic Red Light, Green Light game, Rolling Stone reported that several contestants endured “inhumane” conditions and one woman convulsed on the floor as contestants continued to play.
“It played on our morals and it’s sick. It’s absolutely sick,” one unidentified contested told the outlet.
At the time, Netflix refuted the reports, saying “all the appropriate safety precautions” had been taken.
“Netflix, Studio Lambert, and The Garden have done everything required by the health and safety legislation and the HSE have said they have assessed and closed the matter,” a spokesperson for the show told Deadline.
Nine months later, Netflix shared the first episode of the show and multiple contestants are prepared to file lawsuits against the streaming service. According to Deadline, two contestants “say they suffered hypothermia and nerve damage while shooting in cold conditions in the UK.”
“We recognise people may see this as a classic David and Goliath battle with the company and its production partners,” a representative for the two contestants said.
“Contestants thought they were taking part in something fun and those injured did not expect to suffer as they did. Now they have been left with injuries after spending time being stuck in painful stress positions in cold temperatures.”
The second episode of the newly-launched reality series is expected to debut on Wednesday, November 29.