Former welterweight titlist Shawn Porter earned a one-sided unanimous decision against previously undefeated fighter Sebastian Formella on Saturday. Each of the three judges scored the bout 120-108 in favor of Porter.
“He was a tough fighter,” Porter said.
“After about six rounds, my dad told me that he’s going to keep taking these punches, so I just needed to keep the pressure on him,” Porter added.
Throughout the fight, Formella attempted to box the more experienced fighter, but was unsuccessful. Porter’s pressure and relentless aggression allowed him to work the body and control the tempo.
“The game plan was to use finesse and subtlety,” Porter said after the fight.
“I went in there looking for the shot and ready to take the openings. I wanted to be aggressive, but not too aggressive, because we knew he would run. We worked on cutting off the ring and I think it all worked out tonight,” he continued.
Last night, Porter returned to the ring for the first time since losing a split decision against Errol Spence Jr. nearly a year ago. With the victory, Porter is back in the title picture. Having already fought Spencer Jr., he poses a potential opponent for Manny Pacquiao or Terrence Crawford for their titles.