Over the weekend Keanu Reeves did something even Thanos never could, he beat the Avengers. Well, sort of. John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum beat out Endgame handily to take the top spot with $57 million at the domestic box office. In all fairness, Endgame has been out for nearly a month now but, it’s impressive nonetheless.
Speaking of the Marvel’s heroes, Endgame added another $29 million to its haul. That’s enough to push its total stateside up to $770 million, $10 million more than Avatar‘s record $760 million. It’s still about $150 million short of Avatar‘s worldwide record of $2.7 billion but, it’d take an act of God for Endgame to fall short of that mark at this point.
Rounding out the top three this week is Ryan Reynolds’ Pokemon: Detective Pikachu with $24.8 million. In a loaded month, the cuddly little pocket monster has surpassed most expectations by wowing fans and critics alike. That’s translated into an impressive $200 million made internationally after only one week in theaters.
Fourth and fifth this week see a pretty steep drop off. In fourth, A Dog’s Journey opened to $8 million domestically. No budget information’s available yet but with the first two films costing an average $20 million and this film’s international haul of $23.5 million likely classifies this as a success.
Finally, in fifth, The Hustle continues a lackluster performance with only $6 million domestically. I haven’t seen it yet but could definitely see this film finding a second life on Netflix. But, with its disappointing numbers and lukewarm reception, Hathaway and Wilson probably wish they could get a do-over with this one.
1. John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum – $57 million, $57 million
2. Avengers: Endgame – $29.4 million, $770.8 million
3. Pokemon: Detective Pikachu – $24.8 million, $94 million
4. A Dog’s Journey – $8 million, $8 million
5. The Hustle – $6 million, $23.1 million
6. The Intruder – $4 million, $28 million
7. Long Shot – $3.4 million, $25.7 million
8. The Sun is Also a Star – $2.6 million, $2.6 million
9. Poms – $2 million, $10 million
10. Uglydolls – $1.6 million, $17.2 million
Domestic totals in bold.
Box office numbers courtesy of Box Office Mojo.
Check out last weekend’s box office totals here.