This weekend Avengers: Endgame continued its box office dominance but by only ‘this’ much. It added another $63 million to its domestic total, pushing that up just short of $725 million. It’s also sitting at $2.4 8 billion, about $300 million shy of Avatar‘s $2.7 billion total. Endgame should top that total and become the highest grossing film of all time in the next few weeks.
Coming in a close second this week was Pokémon: Detective Pikachu as it opened to $58 million here in the States. Add in the international markets and the film’s opening gross is well over its $150 million budget at $170 million. I personally haven’t seen the film yet but I’ve heard good things and expect a sequel in one way or another.
In third, this week is The Hustle with $13 million stateside. Budget details haven’t been released yet for the film but with both Rebel Wilson and Anne Hathaway likely drawing the ‘big bucks’ this film’s box office haul will probably be a disappointment. Especially considering some of the big releases lined up for the rest of this month.
Rounding out the top five are two films both performing well in their second weekends, The Intruder and Long Shot. The Intruder continued an impressive performance as it added another $6.6 million, bumping its total to $20.9 million. Then, in fifth, Long Shot made another $6.1 million, good enough to push its total up just shy of $20 million.
Here’s a full look at the top ten movies at the box office from this weekend:
1. Avengers: Endgame – $63 million, $723.4 million
2. Pokémon: Detective Pikachu – $58 million, $58 million
3. The Hustle – $13.5 million, $13.5 million
4. The Intruder – $6.6 million, $20.9 million
5. Long Shot – $6.1 million, $19.7 million
6. Poms – $5.1 million, $5.1 million
7. Uglydolls – $3.9 million, $14.2 million
8. Breakthrough – $2.4 million, $37.1 million
9. Tolkien – $2.1 million, $2.1 million
10. Captain Marvel – $1.8 million, $423.7 million
Domestic totals in bold.
Box office numbers courtesy of Box Office Mojo.
Check out last weekend’s box office totals here.