Jamel Herring has been forced to postpone his July 2nd bout against Jonathan Oquendo after testing positive for COVID-19.
“I’m OK, I feel like my normal self again,” he told ESPN’s Steve Kim.
Herring first started having symptoms during the final stages of his training camp. He noted that had been having muscle aches and began to feel fatigued. As a precaution, he got tested and received the results a day later. Since then, he has been quarantining in Omaha.
The doctor said since I came in after I already had the fever, that I was already at the last stages of the virus. I literally broke the fever Saturday night; it only last two days for me, Friday night, and Saturday night. By the time I got the test results by Sunday morning, I was already done with the fever stages,” he said.
Herring hopes to reschedule the fight for July 14, 2020 if he is able to get cleared in time. In the meantime, Top Rank is reportedly attempting to move up a junior welterweight battle between Jose Pedraza and Mikkel LesPierre up to the July 2nd slot.