A slow weekend at the box office shook out almost exactly like it has for the last two weeks. The top five remains the same, with only a little bit of shuffling further down in the top ten. Ralph Breaks the internet stayed on top with $16.1 million, pushing it’s total just over $140 million domestically.
Ralph Breaks the Internet didn’t dominate the box office like it has only $1 million separated it from The Grinch, which takes second again this week. The Grinch continues to show its holiday staying power with $15.1 million earned this weekend. That puts its total box office haul at $223.4 stateside.
Holding strong at third, Creed II added another $10.3 million in its third week. The Rocky spinoff franchise continues a strong box office performance with the sequel as it has now earned nearly $100 million at the US box office. Stallone may have left the series as Rocky, but with this kind of commercial success, I expect we haven’t seen the last of Creed.
Finally, rounding the top five again are Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and Bohemian Rhapsody, respectively. Fantastic Beasts added $6.8 million to push its total up to $145.2 million, domestically. Bohemian Rhapsody had a similar weekend, earning $6 million and bumping it’s US box office haul to $173.5 million.
Outside the top five, The Green Book jumped from 10th to 7th in a slightly wider release. Its total box office draw is now up to $19.9 million stateside, against a $23 million budget. While an improvement, The Green Book only earned $4,000 more than it did last week, showing that it was definitely helped by a down week at the box office, overall.
Here’s a full look a the top ten movies at the box office from this weekend:
1. Ralph Breaks the Internet – $16.1 million, $140.8 million
2. The Grinch – $15.1 million, $223.4 million
3. Creed II – $10.3 million, $96.4 million
4. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald – $6.8 million, $145.2 million
5. Bohemian Rhapsody – $6 million, $173.5 million
6. Instant Family – $5.6 million, $54.1 million
7. Green Book – $3.9 million, $19.9 million
8. Robin Hood – $3.5 million, $27.3 million
9. The Possesion of Hannh Grace – $3.1 million, $11.5 million
10. Widows – $3.1 million, $38.1 million
Domestic totals in bold.
Box office numbers courtesy of boxofficemojo.com.