Maybe your dreams of becoming a fashion designer have stemmed from drawing clothes that you would like to wear but could never find to buy. Maybe it comes from having a constant interest in fashion. Whatever your reason, here’s how you can make your dream of becoming a fashion designer come true.
Develop Your Skills
• Develop your drawing skills as most designs start from this point. Use color to understand how they contrast with one another in terms of hue and tone.
• Develop your understanding of fabrics; how practical they are to use and wear, how they move and hang when worn as well as how easy they breathe. This is imperative because your fabric of choice may not be appropriate for your design.
• Learn how to sew, using different techniques and materials, to a very good standard. This will require practice. By doing this, you will continue to develop an understanding of materials and how they work with one another.
• Practice developing storyboards; focus on current trends you see online on various social media platforms and when you’re out and about.
• Go to exhibitions and trade shows to discover future trends. Think about how you can incorporate this into your own designs. This is particularly useful if you have plans to start your own clothing brand. Drawing on inspiration can help you approach designs in new ways, even if it is changing materials or incorporating two different styles together.
• Practice and practice some more. Every day practice sewing, developing your familiarity with colors and their respective tones and hues, preparing storyboards for inspiration, and researching into different fashion niches; whether it be sneakers, clothing, jewelry, or other accessories. You need to think outside the box and be open to how you find your next inspiration.
In a fiercely competitive industry, you need to gain as much experience as possible when trying to establish yourself in fashion. Volunteering in fashion is a great way to get your foot into this world and gain that invaluable experience to help you onto your next step. This could be working behind the scenes at a fashion show or an internship at a fashion house. Use this opportunity to network and make connections to begin establishing yourself or gaining that next opportunity for work experience.
Consider Studying for a Degree
There are many courses throughout America that can help you on your way to becoming a fashion designer. However, the ones considered to have the most prestige are in
• New York; the Parsons School of Design and the Fashion Institute of Art and Design
• California; the Academy of Art University
• Miami; Instituto Marangoni
Therefore you may need to consider relocating to one of these states if you are serious about pursuing a fashion degree. Checking out what each place offers and which course best suits what you want to achieve is a good starting point to making such a decision.
Fashion is a popular industry to work in and it helps to be passionate about it, along with possessing creativity, tenacity, and drive to succeed. However, you must back these qualities with experience, knowledge, and skills. You gain this by studying for a bachelor’s degree in fashion, along with many opportunities that arise for you to apply and develop what you learn into practice.