Former pro receiver Terrell Owens has declined his invitation to the Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony on August 4. Adam Schefter helped share the news of Owens’ decision and a statement from Owens on Twitter.
Terrell Owens declined his invitation to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and released this statement: pic.twitter.com/J4P1mS6VjN
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) June 7, 2018
Owens says in his statement:
“While I am incredibly appreciative of this opportunity, I have made the decision to publicly decline my invitation to attend the induction ceremony in Canton,” Owens said in a statement released Thursday. “… After visiting Canton earlier this year, I came to the realization that I wish to celebrate what will be one of the most memorable days of my life, elsewhere.”
Hall of Fame president David Baker said in a statement:
“We are disappointed but will respect Terrell’s decision not to participate in the enshrinement. While unprecedented, the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the nearly 5,000 volunteers and the entire community are committed to celebrating the excellence of the Class of 2018 that will kick off the NFL’s 99th season.”
Baker also stated that the Pro Football Hall of Fame would not make any further comments about Owens and his decision.
Owens played 15 seasons in the NFL before calling it quits. Originally drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the third round of the 1996 NFL Draft, Owens would spend time with the Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills, and Cincinnati Bengals. Owens proved to be a top tier receiver during his time and ended his career eighth all-time in receptions (1,078), second in receiving yards (15,934) and third in receiving touchdowns (153)
Owens was one of the few selected this year to forever be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The rest of the 2018 class includes players Ray Lewis, Randy Moss, Brian Urlacher and Brian Dawkins. The ceremony will take place on August 4 in Canton, Ohio.